Bali Villas Rental

icon icon


Buying land in Bali and building your "dream house" is something many people consider.
Firstly, be aware that the Indonesian Law is very different from Western law, including the fact that only a Indonesian citizen can own a property. Fortunately, it remains quite possible to invest safely in strict accordance with certain procedures and especially in surrounding himself with skilled lawyers present at Bali.


The freehold property option for foreigners. The most used (and unfortunately for the unwary, misused) option is to use an Indonesian name holder for your property, with who you make contracts. These contracts give you the right to use the property. See for more information below. We cannot stress enough that these contracts should be checked and double checked. No matter how friendly the people are that offer their help, ask advice from a well know legal company in Bali.
Right of Use is a right over land, either State-owned or private, which gives the holder the right to use and obtain the product of a certain piece of land. The land to which Right of Use is applied may be used as a building site or for agricultural purposes. PP 40/1997 states that the initial period for Right of Use is not to exceed 25 years but can be extended for another twenty years or even indefinitely if the land is still in use for a certain reason. Right of Use may be owned by Indonesian citizens, resident foreigners, Indonesian companies domiciled in Indonesia, and foreign companies that have a representative office in Indonesia. Currently it is easy for foreigners in Bali to obtain the right of use.

Right of Building Lease is a right to lease land, either State-owned or private, which gives the holder the right to use the land in return for compensation. The payment could be one-time or periodical as determined by mutual understanding between the parties. Right of Building Lease may be owned by Indonesian citizens, resident foreigners, Indonesian companies domiciled in Indonesia, and foreign companies that have a representative office in Indonesia.

Property Rights of Foreigners UU 5/1960 only allows foreigners to obtain Right of Use or Right of Building Lease. However, UU 5/1960 only provides very general information on how to obtain either of these rights, the maximum time period, or the legal assurances provided. As a result, many foreigners in Indonesia are not willing to engage in such transactions because they do not know the regulations or feel insecure with the regulations.

Renewal of rights on expiry of the initial term is via an application to the National Land Agency and is subject to payment of a fee. An application must be submitted one year before expiry of the term. Although the law is silent in regard to the period after the expiry of the extended terms, the consensus is that a land right can be extended if there has been no infringement of the conditions attached to its usage.
What do foreigners have to do if they want to use an Indonesian nameholder? It is best to use a well known company to arrange your contracts, and it is not unusual to ask a second opinion about the contracts. Important issues are inheritage and marriage. A foreigner married to an Indonesian woman, needs to have a marriage contract f.i.

Procedures for Property Acquisition. All transactions of land rights must be via deeds executed before a land deed official at the local office of the Pejabat Pembuat Akta Tanah (PPAT) where the land is located and must be registered in the regional office of the National Land Agency. The PPATs are privately managed offices (usually run by a notary) authorized by the National Land Agency to handle land acquisition matters. Although there is no regulation that contracts have to be in Indonesian language, it is recommended having contracts and agreements always drawn up and executed in Bahasa Indonesia (or two languages) to prevent later arguments that the local partner did not fully understand the content.

Property Sales Tax. When property is sold there is tax to be paid by both the selling and the buying party. This is 5%, for each, over the amount that is on the sales contract. Please note that the amount on the sales contract can be different from the actual price agreed upon. The tax has to be paid to the notary handling the transaction. Project developers usually include all in their pricing schemes, but when negotiating please ask how sales tax will be handled. Many a foreigner got an unpleasant surprise after agreeing on a price and hearing of the extra tax.

VAT Sales Tax. VAT on sale is 10%

Luxury Sales Tax. 20% Tax on sale of landed houses with a building size of 400m2 or more or an installed electricity capacity above 6.600 watt.

Documents drawn up at the Notary. There are four documents needed:
-the first one describes that the foreigner gives money to the Indonesian name holder to buy land and property and the Indonesian gives this land and property to the foreigner to use it, out of his free will. The document also describes that the name holder gives the foreigner permission to sell, to rent it out or rebuild the house or property. It states that the agreement, if necessary, passes automatically to the heirs, as well of the foreigner as the name holders. It states that all of the property costs (electricity, water and taxes) have to be paid by the foreigner. The official 'Sertipikat' will be in the foreigners possession as well as the statement of cession, signed by the name holder. Only with this 'Sertipikat Hak Milik' it is possible to sell the land.
-In the second document the selling of the property is granted to the foreigner. The name holder gives his explicit permission to do so.
-In the third document the name holder gives permission to rent out the house or property.
-The fourth document commits the name holder to co-operate, if the time ever comes that foreigners can own land and property in Indonesia, in making the foreigner being the new name holder on the 'Sertipikat'. In case the law changes in the disadvantage of foreigners, the name holder will co-operate in changing the agreement into a lease-contract of 50 years with option for another term.

Choose the right Indonesian Partner to "own" your property or land. This may take some time and asking around. Talk with foreigners in your area, and don't haste.

Properties can be owned by companies, like a PT or a PMA. A PT is an Indonesian "Limited", a PMA is a foreign investment company which can be owned 100% by foreigners. The PMA property license has to be renewed every 20 or 30 years. Setting up a PT costs about 7 to 10 million rp, a PMA around 35 million rp.

Hak Pakai (Right of Use) for foreign investors

Since March 2004 in effect in Bali:

The government offers foreign investors land rights that are relevant to the nature of their business. Prospective buyers of land for any purpose should consult the local government authorities on land use, planning and zoning. Based on a Presidential Decree issued in June 1996, foreigners domiciled in Indonesia are allowed to own one residential property. To meet the regulations of ownership of a house or an apartment, a foreigner must be deemed to be "beneficial to national development" and must be either:

  • An Indonesian resident (domiciled permanently in Indonesia) in possession of a permanent resident permit
  • A non-resident (domiciled in Indonesia only at particular times) in possession of appropriate visit and immigration stamps in his/her passport.

A foreigner can purchase or construct a house built only on land with the right of use (Hak Pakai), the right of use with the right of proprietorship, or the right of lease (Hak Sewa). An apartment can only be purchased by a foreigner on land with right of use (Hak Pakai).

Ownership is limited to 25 years, and can be extended for another 25 years provided that the foreigner remains an Indonesian resident or meets the status requirements. If the foreigner departs from Indonesia, the property must be sold or transferred within one year after departure. If the foreigner or his family does not use the house for more than 12 consecutive years, then the foreigner forfeits the "being domiciled" status, for the purpose of owning residential property.

Advanced Research
Nyaman Group

Gorgeous Villas Bali provides a handpicked selection of the best luxury villas in Bali. If you are looking for an oasis of relaxation, peace and first class services, our agency is definitely for you. Our exceptionally spacious villas offer private swimming pools, luxurious suites and refined designs. Our villa experts have traveled all over Bali to inspect and carefully select the best Bali villas rentals of the island. Featuring 475 villas, we operate all over the island and only chose the best locations in every city, such as the trendy area of Seminyak, the coastal area of Canggu or Ubud, the cultural centre of Bali. Our villa consultants will gladly help you find what you are looking for depending on your budget and criteria.
Book your villa with Gorgeous Villas Bali and discover a unique way to experience the Island of the Gods!

Gorgeous Villas Bali and his partner Villa Bali Booking are part of Nyaman Group, a leader in the luxury tourism industry in Indonesia, discover the several companies of Nyaman Group.